We caught a 9:30 pm show on Monday at a cinema 2 minutes from our house. This meant that 1. I could wear my PJs under my coat and my UGG boots and no one would notice (my PJ pants don’t really look like PJ pants, they’re more or less regular linen pants) and 2. there wouldn’t be a lot of people in the cinema. And by this I mean there were just two: D and I.
The movie was GREAT! Although a bit too violent for a Monday evening, right before going to bed.
- how it originally combines documentary-like scenes and “regular movie” scenes
- the plot. Some may say it’s an old idea, aliens coming to Earth, blah blah, but I’ve never seen a movie in which the aliens are kept in concentration camps and living among humans. This, I thought, was something new.
- the setting. Not Manhattan or any other place in the US, but Johannesburg, South Africa. Also original.
- the mystery. Even at the end we don’t know why the aliens came to Earth. But that’s not the point. The movie is character-driven
- basically the whole story. How Wikus turn from this office worker in his V-neck vest into a killing machine. How you as a spectator begin to root for the aliens and hate the commandos that are trying to kill without blinking. How the same moral values are shared between humans and aliens.
- the possible happy ending.
- nothing I can think of.
Definitely one of the best movies of 2009.